I often find many gems at my local farmers market in Studio City, CA, but this one takes center stage this week!
Say hello to the glorious King Oyster mushroom.
At first glance I thought, hmm, I can’t really sauté this, what on earth would I do with it? Opportunely the lady at the mushroom stand leans in and says.. “make bacon”.
Challenge accepted! I was blown away by the end result.
I hope you enjoy this vegan BLT with an Argentine-Fuddhist twist 😉
- extra virgin olive oil
- organic maple syrup
- pink himalayan/sea salt
- organic sweet paprika
- organic pepper
- 2 large King Oyster mushrooms, sliced into bacon strip-sized slices (about 1/8th inch thick)
- chimichurri/ blöde kuh cultured cashew spread (or any spread you have handy)
- sourdough bread
- a packet of organic romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado
- 1 tomato
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the maple syrup, sea salt, paprika, and black pepper. Stir it up!
- Place the sliced mushrooms in a large mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
- Add the syrup mixture to the oiled mushrooms. Time to get those hands dirty 😉 make sure the mushroom slices are well coated.
- Arrange the mushrooms on the oiled baking sheet with space in between each one.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the mushrooms turn dark brown. Then flip the mushrooms.
- Bake for another 20 minutes, until the slices start to really darken.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes (this will also crisp the mushrooms).